Friday 25 June 2010

MOT Test ... first drive on the road !!!

Fri 25th June 2010 - Work time = 0hrs ... Build Time To Date = 243hrs
At last I get an excuse to drive the car on the road, to the MOT test.  The garage is only a couple of miles away so only a short trip.
The drive got off to a slightly embarrassing start.  At the T junction in the village I misjudged the rather limited turning circle and had to do a 3 point turn to turn right !  The rest of the drive was uneventful although the car was meandering quite a bit ... either it was just I wasn't used to such a light car or the steering geometry was not set up.
I asked the garage to perform a standard MOT test and align the headlamps and set the toe-in for the front wheels (10mins was the recommendation from Westfield).
The results :
- handbrake not working too well on near side ... off side working well ... something I'll need to take a look at
- suspected leak around brake reservior ... I think this is down to the last brake bleed I did where the fuid overflowed slightly ... I will nip all the connectors though just to be sure
- the front wheels toe-in was originally set "off the scale" until they adjusted to the requested 10min toe in
Apart from these items it had a clean bill of health!
The drive back home was a lot better ... I was less nervous and with the steering toe-in geometry set it handled a lot better.  Managed to get to 60mph on way back ... my excuse was I needed to check the speedo calibration against the Sat Nav display.
Back home I took a few pictures:


Next step the IVA Test ... date confirmed for 8th July. Time to get all those plastic covers out and fitted !!!

1 comment:

  1. Kevin,
    Where did you source the Hi Level Rear Brake Light and how does it mount to the RAC Roll Bar?
    Many thanks for the blog, I start my build in May 12

    ReplyDelete