Friday 11 June 2010

No Left Turn !!!!!

Fri 11th June 2010 - Work time = 2hrs ... Build Time To Date = 241hrs
Had to work from home today and collect a new tumble drier ... the old one having broken down with a very strong burning smell.
To fit the new drier I had to move the Westie out of the garage.  I also wanted to check everything one last time prior to the MOT test tomorrow.
With the new tumble drier installed Henry and I pushed the car back in the garage ... whilst doing so the steering locked and we couldn't move the wheel left.  Turning the ignition key made no difference ... the wheel wouldn't turn left? 
After much fiddling with the key in the ignition lock it still wouldn't turn left.  AAARGHHHH !!!!
Head scratching time ... the steering column needed to be removed  Not easy now that everything else was installed.  So dashboard off ... small under dash side panels off, cable ties on cabling under dash off etc etc. 
Eventually I got the column out and sure enough it was locking on a left turn.   There was a product recall from Westfield sometime ago for steering column issues but my column was supplied after this? 
So MOT now not gonna take place tomorrow and a call to Westfield on Monday. Not a happy boy!  I just hope my IVA test appointment doesn't come through too soon now.
However taking a more positive view ... it could have locked whilst I was driving en route to the MOT test whilst approaching a left hand turn in the road!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kevin, I had the exact same problem (check: http://westfieldfw.blogspot.com/2010/05/ongeluk-voorkomen-en-stoelen-gemonteerd.html). Just took the steering column apart and took off the welded on bush. Next day I called Westfield NL and they said that they have not yet received the improved steering columns (and they also wonder why they still ship out the hazardous ones).

    Regards, Rob

    ReplyDelete