Tuesday 29 December 2009

Bleeding Brakes ... easy with the Ezi Bleed !

Monday 28th December - Work time = 2.5hrs ... Build Time To Date = 74hrs
Armed with my Ezi Bleed system and 1.25 litres of Dot 5.1 Brake Fluid it was time to bleed the brakes.  This was not something I was particularly looking forward to as I had read many WSCC Forum posts and Build Diaries explain the pain and suffering caused by bleeding brakes on a Westfield. 
Following the various advice given and the Ezibleed instructions I set about the task.  I pressure tested the system with no fluid first at about 18psi and then filled the container with fluid, reduced the pressure to about 15psi and started bleeding each corner.  I managed to use all but about 350ml of Brake fluid.  I bled each corner twice just to be sure.  Disappointingly the pedal was still a little spongy so I decided to proceed with the Westfield method of pumping the pedal several times and then wedging the pedal down and leaving it overnight.


Another tip I read was to elevate the rear ... theory being that the air bubbes slowly rise.  So I enlisted Henry to lower the front onto the axles stands.  The front end being a little lighter than the rear I thought this would be an easy task for the pair of us.  Not so ... we got the front onto the axles stands and alarmingly the whole chassis starting sliding forwards (this gravity thing is a bloody nuisance!) until the rear was resting across the rear wishbones.  I then went to the rear and tried to shuffle the chassis back with Henry holding the front.  At this point the frame slid forward again and landed on Henry's foot.   We then reverted to the original configuration and put the front back on the build stand.  A quick look at the front chassis and fortunately there was no damage to the frame ... Henry meanwhile limped off to the house! 

I removed the wood prop this morning and was extremely pleased to see that overnight the "brake fairies" had spun their magic and the pedal was no longer spongy.  So moral of the story ... Ezi Bleed does what it says on the box and then leave it to a length of wood and the "brake fairies"!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Kevin,
    When you left the wood overnight, was the cap of the brake fluid reservoir open or closed ?
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete