Sunday 6 December 2009

Fuel Tank, Pump & Filter ... rear end almost complete

Sunday 6th December - Work time = 3.5 hrs ... Build Time To Date = 62.5 hrs
According to Westfield's estimated build duration I should now be halfway through having clocked just over 60 hours.  Things are progressing well but me thinks there is still more than 57.5 hours of work left!

Todays task to fit the fuel tank.  Before I started though I needed to finish a few outstanding jobs:
1.  Top up the diff with some more oil
2.  Finish covering the handbrake cables with convoluted tubing and secure to the wishbones.  Fortunately the eBay order arrived in the week so I could complete this task also.

Next job fit the fuel tank.  No issues with this ... just a bit fiddly to tighten the nuts securing the straps at the front ... there was not a lot of space between the tank and the rear bulkhead.  Fitting the fuel pump and filter were also a challenge.  After a bit of head scratching and consultation of a few build site photos I worked out the best options and routing for the pipes.  The fuel pump bolted through the rear chassis rail with a couple of spacers to push it away from the chassis rail and clear the left rear wishbone mount.
After drilling through the right hand diff chassis rail to fit the filter backet I realised that I didn't have any M6 bolts long enough to go through the rail ... doh!  So I fitted some M6 rivnuts instead ... will need to fill the unused holes on the over side somehow! 

Routing the fuel hoses was a little tricky too and I mdae a couple of attempts to fit the hose between the tank and fuel pump.  My first attempt looked good until I realised that when the car was on the ground and the suspension loaded that it would probably get trapped between the wishbone and the chassis!

I put convoluted tube over the full lengths of the hoses (I now have 5 metres of each size coutesy of my eBay order!).  This looks neater but I'm not sure whether the IVA inspector may need to see sight of the labelling on the hose to check that it's proper fuel hose ... may have to remove a bit of tubing at the test? 

At this point I must make a special mention for the huge contribution from both Sandra and Amy who popped in and out at various times this afternoon and acted as "drill trigger pusher" whilst I routed/held the flexible drill drive shaft to drill holes in various places for the cable tie mounts to secure the hoses.




I ran out of 5/16" hose to complete the filter to fixed fuel pipe connection.  Another trip to the motor factors!

1 comment:

  1. Kevin, (not sure if you can see this comment???) I notice you have covered your fuel hose with convoluted tubing, I did this on my Westy but had a need to move a fuel hose, I found to my surprise that the rubber fuel hose had sweated inside the convoluted plastic tubing and the inner and outer rubber hose had parted from each other see my article on WSCC link, Ian http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/95382-warning-fuel-hose-and-plastic-conduit/page__fromsearch__1

    ReplyDelete