Sunday 20 December 2009

Propshaft & Upper Steering Column ... well almost a propshaft

Saturday 20th December - Work time = 1.5 hrs ... Build Time To Date = 64 hrs
Next job on the list ... fit the propshaft.  A straightforward task ... 4 bolts, one propshaft, a torque wrench and some thread lock.  Hmm it's funny how the seemingly straightforward tasks turn out to be the the most difficult! 
The manual states that the prop can only be fitted and the bolts torqued when the handbrake is operational.  The handbrake was already fitted but I had failed to check that it was "fully operational" !  To cut a long story shorter the handbrake was not fully applying the pads to the discs so the wheels were spinning when I was trying to torque up the prop bolts.  After the usual head scratching I still couldn't figure why the handbrake wasn't clenching the pads enough ... perhaps there was some adjustment required to the calipers?  perhaps I need to fill the brake system and bleed the brakes first?  Hmmm a quick post of the Westfield forum to get some views seems required.
So with the prop now removed I turned my attention to the upper steering column.  This had arrived unexpectedly in the post the other day from Westfield.  They have had some issues with the original design resulting in a product recall so they held this part back when I collected the kit.  It was a bit fiddly to fit the column ... requiring a hole to be cut in the front bulkhead.  Lining up the position of the hole was tricky and because I didn't have a drill big enough I needed to expand the hole with a round file.  Unfortunately I got a bit carred away with the filing as the photos below show ... I'll need to get a suitably sized grommet to fill the gap!


So next step ... whilst I await a response from the forum re the handbrake adjustment ... is to sort out the ECU wiring loom and engine wiring loom.  More wires and more labelling!

No comments:

Post a Comment