Wednesday 21 April 2010

Engine Issue Identified ... Roll Bar Fitting Part 1

Weds 21st Apr 2010 - Work time = 5hrs ... Build Time To Date = 189hrs
Managed to speak with Mark at Westfield yesterday and he suggested some checks for the injectors.

Test 1.  Remove the injectors but leave connected to the fuel rail and try to start the engine ... there should be a mist of petrol expelled from each injector.  The first injector on the rail worked fine (cylinder no 4) but nothing from the other three.  I swapped the Injector wires but same result

Test 2. Wire the injectors directly to a 12V supply and spark them to check if the solonoid are switching.  All injectors seemed to work OK.

Hmmm ... head scratching time.  I ecided to dismantle the fuel rail.  I discineccted the outlet fom the first injector (the one that was working) to find that there was no hole in the outlet.  Doh!  The part seemed to be machined wrong or was perhaps an end fitting?  Anyway there was no way that fuel was getting to the other injectors ... I had found the problem.  The picture below shows the issue.  The faulty injector is on the top.



I'm now waiting on Westfield to provide a new injector.

Clearly nothing was going to progress with the engine start up so I turned my attention to the roll bar.  I'd opted for the added security of the "RAC Roll Bar" rather than the standard hoop.  The RAC Roll Bar is barced diagonally and has stays to the rear whereas the standard one is just a hoop secured with one both either side ... a little too flimsy me thinks!

I set about cutting holes in the rear body work to fit the bar.



Once the roll bar mounts were cut out I could then line up the seat belt mount holes.  Here's the finished result.



Next step to fit the high level brake light in the roll bar ... an update at the weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment