Sunday 18 April 2010

Engine start up .... part 2 :-((

Sun 18th Apr 2010 - Work time = 5hrs ... Build Time To Date = 184hrs
With the sun shining again, the battery fully charged I rolled the car out from the garage.
I connected up the battery again and set about the start up checks.  I turned the key and the starter turned over, the engine turned over but still didn't fire.  Now what?  I removed the plugs and checked for sparks ... all sparking OK.  Removed the air filter and checked for any smell of petrol in the inlet trumpets ... none.  Turned the engine over and checked again ... no fuel smell.  Hmmm ... maybe the fuel pump wasn't working correctly. 
Following the wiring issues with the starter I decided to check the pump wiring ... it was correct.  I also checked that the inertia switch was depressed.
I tried the starter again ... this time there was a slight splutter.  I turned the key again and it spluttered again.  After several attempts it spluttered for a few seconds but sound like a bag of spanners .... it seemed to be firing on only one cylinder.  A quick check of the plugs again ... no 1 cylinder was sooted up and the exhaust manifold was hot but the rest of the plugs were clean and the exhaust downpipes cold.
So a fuelling problem, an ECU probem or an injector problem.  Fuel was getting to no 1 cylinder so I figured the fuel pump was OK.  Time for some research to help the diagnosis.  I searched a few items on the WSCC forum and one suggested a quick test of the injectors was to check that 12v was on one of the injector terminals with the ignition on ... the ECU fires the injector by closing the earth.  All injectors tested OK. I also found out that the coil is in two banks so it was probably not a coil issue as No 1 cylinder was working and in any event I could get a spark from all 4 cylinders. 
Another posting suggested that new injectors get dried out and blocked and suggested putting a little fuel in the inlet to get things started.  Despite sounding a little dangerous I was getting desperate.  So armed with a cup of fuel and a teaspoon I poured some fuel into the inlet trumpets and manually opened the butterflies.  Waiting a few seconds for a bit of evaporation I turned the key again.  This time it fired up on 2-3 cylinders ... but only very briefly (until the poured in fuel had been used).  I checked the exhaust downpipes and 1,2 and 4 felt warm.  More fuel down the inlets and tried again.  Similar results. 
I deduced that I now had some sort of issue with the injectors but didn't know how to fix it! 
Thoroughly depressed I wheeled the car back into the garage and put the battery back on charge.  A call into Westfield tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kevin,

    I had similar problems with starting the motor for the first time. Turned out that I wrongly connected the fuel inlet and return hoses. There pressureregulator was blocking the fuel flow.

    BTW Nice pedal cover panel; I like the carbon look a lot!

    Regards, Robbo

    ReplyDelete