Sunday 25 April 2010

Roll Bar Fitting Part 2 & Headlamp Brackets

Sat 24th Apr 2010 - Work time = 7hrs ... Build Time To Date = 196hrs
With the holes cut in the bodywork I set about fitting the high level brake light in the Roll Bar before bolting it to the chassis. Feeding the cable through the inside of the bar was a little tricky but with various bits of wire I got there in the end.
Bolting it down to the chassis was a little difficult as on the near side the diagonal brace blocked access to the bolt head.  The bolts are hex head but fortunately I had a right angle 8mm hex head allen key.  With the bolts torqued tight I set about marking the hole cutouts for the rear stays.
I'd read several posts on the WSCC Forum all giving advice about using string, waste pipe etc to help line up the holes.  In the end I drilled a hole in the centre of where I'd calculated the stay to go and then put through some string as a plumb line to make sure it was lined up.  I then cut an angled piece of plumbing waste pipe and used this to scribe the elipse shape to cut.  I then used the dremel to gradually cut away the hole using the scribe shape as my boundary. 
It wasn't too difficult in the end ... though took a long time.
Of course when I tried to fit the stays I needed to undo the roll bar to tip it forwards to gain some clearance.  I finished the tops off with some bike tyre inner tube as I have heard that there are some issues with the sharp edges for the IVA test.
The final results ... I'm pleased with the fit ... no gaps around the rear stays.  Need to wait for the covers over the roll bar mounting ... on order from Westfield.


Next I fitted the headlamp brackets ... again a fairly simple task but time consuming.  I didn't fit the headlamps yet though as I need to remove the bonnet to fit the grills ... with the headlamps fitted it will be a bit dfficult to turn upside down.


No comments:

Post a Comment