Monday 3 May 2010

Bonnet finished & Headlamps fitted ... Dashboard removed again!

Sat 1st May 2010 - Work time = 4hrs ... Build Time To Date = 207hrs

First job today as to tidy up the fibre glassing around the bonnet grills.  Whilst the bonnet was off I fitted the front grill.


Once I'd refitted the bonnet and secured the front hinge I set about fitting the bonnet fastenings.  The manual suggests these should be rivetted on but I wasn't happy about the rivet heads showing so I decided to use M4 button headbolts instead.  Then I realised the reason for the suggestion to rivet fix them ... the bottom clasp fixings are "hidden" on the iside by one of the side panels.  Undeterred I decided to drill through the inside panel, enlarge the hole so that I could get to the rear of the bolt to put on the nut.  So what should have been a 15min job took well over an hour!  The end result was worth it though.




Next job fit the headlamps.  The lights com supplied with the connector not fitted so you can feed the cables through the bonnet.  A fair bit of head scratching required to work out where the four wires go in the connector.  Once connected up I tested the lights ... side lights OK, main beam OK but no dipped beam?  More head scratching as I double checked the wiring diagram.  Hmmm perhaps the dip/main beam switch was wired wrongly.  So the dash had to come off again to check the wiring ... by a process of elimation I worked out the switch wiring ... net result all lights working.  With the dash off I fitted the heated screen wiring loom.  I had previously missed this ... not sure what the extra loom was and with nothing mentioned in the manual I'd put in back in the box!  It was only after my call to Westfield for the missing heated screen switch that they explained I needed to fit this.


One issue remained ... how to tighten up the headlamps.  The nut is difficult to access with a normal spanner so I had to "adjust" an old 21mm spark plug spanner I had.  The groove is needed to feed through the wiring.  With this I could turn the nut a quarter turn and then reset it and take another quarter turn.  Slow progress but it worked quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment