Tuesday 24 November 2009

Front & Rear Hubs on ... 4 wheels on the wagon (almost)

Tuesday 24th November - Work time = 3 hrs ... Build Time To Date = 48.5 hrs
Another day off ! But a good excuse ... Henry's 16th Birthday (Hippo Bird day H !) and Amy was playing the drums at a school concert (Rock on Amy !).  In between these I managed to do some work on the car.
Firstly fitted the front hubs ... the only issue was tightening the nut on the top ball joint.  It needed a lot of downward pressure to stop it revolving.  Got there in the end.  Here's the finished article.



I then moved to the rear suspension.  All was pretty straightforward and I soon had the hubs on both sides.  Standing back to admire my work I checked the manual for the next step ... trouble was the picture in the manual didn't match what I had built.  "Oh bother" I exclaimed (or words to that efffect) ... I had put the lower wishbones on the wrong way round ... on both sides!  The manual clearly states the single arm with the bush at the front ... I had it at the back.  Here's the wrong way and the right way once I'd taken both sides off and started again.



And here is a photo of both sides completed.





Next step to fit the rear discs and calipers.  I realised I couldn't start this as I hadn't got any hex sockets for the set screws that secure the calipers to the hubs.  I needed two different sizes, one for the calipers and one for the driveshafts.  A trip to the local motor factors and £37 later (don't tell Sandra) I had a full set of 3/8" drive hex bits with a 1/2" adaptor so that I could connect them to the torque wrench.  All sorted ready for the next build session!

No comments:

Post a Comment