Saturday 14 November 2009

Wiring ... installation

Saturday 14th November - Work time = 7.5 hrs ... Build Time To Date = 40.5 hrs

I spent a couple of hours during the week sorting out and labelling the loom.  It took a little while to interpet the wiring diagram.



The labelling was a slightly tedious task but proved to be well worth the effort when I came to the installation.  Henry captured the labelling task and as a result of his creative photography skills he managed to show me wearing the lamp shade ... thanks H ! 




Before I started installing the loom today I wanted to add a couple of extra power feeds for the intercom and brantz rally meter.  I added these to the Power Socket/Horn/Hazards circuit which was wired back to a 20amp fuse in the fuse box so should be OK.  This was a pretty straightforward task although it needed a lot of insulation tape to bind the new wires into the loom.

So to the installation ... first step install the fuse boxes ... so far so good.  Then it was a case of pulling the wires for the dash instruments, switches, warning lights etc through the transmission tunnel front panel into the cockpit.  It looked like a big hole in the transmission tunnel panel when I started but it quickly filled and there was a lot of pushing and pulling to get all the cables and connectors through.  The relays were particularly difficult ... I contemplated taking them apart but finaly managed to get them through after pulling back some of the other wires to create some more space.


It took a long time to route the front and rear parts of the loom and I had to install a lot more cable tie fixings to keep the wires tidy.  At the rear the instructions say to double back the loom from the offside rear corner back to the nearside rear corner.  I didn't complete this bit as I'm sure that there will be things like the fuel pump and regulator mounted across the back so I might end up having to reroute the wires later once I have these installed.













I'm pleased with the finished loom installation ... only time will tell whether everything still works !

No comments:

Post a Comment