Tuesday 10 November 2009

Wiring ... getting ready to run the loom

Monday 9th November - Work time = 4 hrs ... Build Time To Date = 33 hrs
A day off work today so I can crack on with the build.  Firstly good news ... managed to fix the printer last night so Sandra is happy again!
So today's schedule of work ... start Chapter 3 of the Build Manual ... entitled Wiring Loom.  Firstly attach the fixings for the wiring loom ... yet more drilling.  I had originally bought 20 x 4.1 mm drills off eBay for the rivet hole drilling ... for each stint I was using a fresh new one so I am pleased I got plenty.  
First issue was the chassis was the right way up on the stands and it appeared that most of the clips were on the lower chassis bars ... hmmm slight issue as all my trainee mechanics were at school!  Three Shredded Wheat later I managed to turn the chassis over by myself.  The only other issues were some of the awkward places at the front where it was dfficult to get the drill into.  A combination of normal drill, flexible drive attachment and hand drill prevailed eventually.  Also when I got to the rear it was not clear in the manual where to place the clips on the offside ... the manual merely shows 4 on the outer rail but mentions in the loom routing instructions that it "loops back from the other corner" but it is not clear using what route? Oh well when I get the wires in place it will probably be a bit more apparent.
Here's a few more pictures ... progress is not that apparant but if you look caefully you can see the loom fixings ... there's about 40 there somewhere!







Having finished the fixings I flipped the chassis back over to fit the scuttle panel and the first part of the transmission tunnel panel.  I decided to shorten the transmission panel and cut it across the first brace.  This would allow me more access when routing the cables.  I plan to rivnut fix all the other transmission panels for ease of access in the future.  Talking of rivnuts ... I got the chance to use my new rivnut tool and fitted 4 x M4 rivnuts for the fuse box attachment ... this makes fitting and removal easier than a bolt and a loose nut.



Next step, start sorting out the loom and labelling the various parts.  Hmmm this may take a little time!





No comments:

Post a Comment